Posted: March 12, 2018
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
The Operations Superintendent takes charge of a team that includes multiple operational crews scheduled on multiple shifts. The successful candidate will be a proven, ethical leader with a history of success in developing subordinate leaders who lead by example to motivate, train and instill core values in their subordinates.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take charge of an assigned manufacturing area, and act as the process owner for all manufacturing processes conducted in that area. This includes all pipe finishing and quality control manufacturing practices in the HFW or SAWH Mill.
- Lead teams to safely produce pipe to meet or exceed customer and industry requirements and expectations. Utilize expertise/knowledge of equipment and processes to make decisions, train subordinates and optimize performance.
- Arrange for, coordinate and bring to bear both internal and external resources focused on achieving Company goals within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Manage both internal and external customer and supplier relationships in order to maximize safety, quality and productivity.
- Develop skill sets and knowledge base of direct reports by building a culture of positive morale and enthusiasm. Encourage total employee engagement and reward exceptional performance.
- Develop goals and expectations of employees and hold them accountable. Provide guidance, direction and mentoring to subordinates, and complete and deliver effective performance reviews. Provide challenging training and development opportunities for employees’ growth and development.
- Champion and execute the organization’s continuous improvement goals by leading teams to identify improvement opportunities and facilitate initiatives regarding safety, quality, up-time, cycle time, work instructions, and employee productivity, including analyzing data collection/Pareto analysis of defects, etc. Own and drive the process of drafting/implementing Work Instructions and SOPs. Supervise the completion of necessary paperwork and administrative duties related for example to payroll, attendance, discipline, grievances, overtime, scheduling and safety;
- Control costs within a defined budget, including manpower optimization.
- Maintain an entrepreneurial approach in all aspects of the job to deliver a positive financial return on investment.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulatory requirements. Maintain and enforce compliance with all company policies.
- Succeed primarily by interacting with people and processes during physical presence on the manufacturing/shipping area for a minimum of 50% of total working hours, but also by performing effectively in a fast paced, professional and demanding office environment for the remaining 50%.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Four year degree or equivalent experience is required. Previous leadership experience, strong mechanical aptitude and strong experience with Microsoft Office (or similar) are required. Lean manufacturing experience is preferred.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strength of Character and Personal Adaptability & Motivation to include a positive work ethic highlighted by commitment, trust and integrity along with an ability to engage effectively in Constructive Conflict.
- Personal Capability to include strong critical thinking, decision quality, initiative and a well-developed sense of urgency.
- Additional Cognitive Skills and Ability to include Innovation, Learning, Knowledge Application, Handling Detail, Productivity Orientation and Time Management.
- Strong Leadership ability to include effective Directing, Staffing, Coaching and Developing people.
- Intense Focus on Results characterized by strong Goal Orientation, Planning and Resource Management.
- Strong Interpersonal Skills with emphasis on Communication, Teamwork and Conflict Management.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, and to climb onto various pieces of equipment to inspect, troubleshoot, and supervise repair and operation of machines and structures. In addition, repeated lifting and carrying loads of up to 50 pounds over the course of a shift to last up to 14 hours is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment Includes both general office work and physical work required to lead people in operations, storage, shipping and maintenance areas. Shifts are scheduled on a weekly rotation between days and nights, requiring some flexibility of schedule to supervise multiple shifts appropriately. Some travel may be required. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Please email, fax or mail your resume and salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
12555 Ronaldson Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
Fax: (225) 778-2158