Posted: June 11, 2018
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Metallurgist for the manufacture of large-diameter, natural gas and oil transmission steel line pipe using Electric Resistance, High Frequency Welding (HFW) and Submerged Arc Welding (SAW) for a leader in the industry. The Metallurgist is expected to have involvement in all processes including specification review in accordance with general mill limitations, material selection, material vendor interaction, forming, welding, inspection, testing, coating, shipping, and right-of-way processes of steel transmission pipe. This position includes reporting and interaction with customer. This person must be highly motivated.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Data accuracy and analysis
- Review resultant data collected during processing and testing for anomalies or trends.
Defect analysis (including root cause) & Reporting
- Analyze defects created during processing, report findings and recommend corrective action.
- Review microstructures and grain size of product to validate processes.
- Investigate processing failures in the product and eliminate root cause.
- Review customer specifications according to general mill capabilities.
Destructive Test Review
- Review all mechanical testing for accuracy and conformance to specifications for certification.
Welder Parameter Tracking & Analysis
- Monitor welding parameters for variation and validate procedures via appropriate testing methods.
Material Loss Reporting (Mill and Vendor)
- Report material losses with root cause analysis to management. Liaise with material vendors to assist with process improvement for increased efficiency and reduced loss.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science & Engineering from an ABET or equivalent accredited university.
1 to 5 years’ experience in steel making, manufacturing, or welding processes.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Metallurgical principles behind design of API 5L pipeline material.
- Defect analysis and reports (root cause to vendor and mill)
Metallurgical principles involved in High Frequency Resistance Welding and Fillet Welding (SAW, MIG, TIG, SMAW, etc.).
- Welding Defect Classification & Reparability
API 5L Grade Steels
- Measurement & Testing
- Ultrasonic Testing Principles
- Radiographic Testing Principles
- Visual Inspection Techniques
- Pressure Testing Requirements & Material Behavior
- Mechanical Testing Requirements
- Analysis of Failures for Root Cause
- Testing Procedures
API Q1/ISO 9001 Requirements
- Non Conformance Generation/Resolution
- Corrective Action Request (CAR)
- Preventive Action Request (PAR)
Manufacturing Process Flow
Coating Processes & Testing Requirements
The Metallurgist must be a self-starter capable of working with little supervision and following all projects through to a successful finish. Good communication skills are essential as this position requires interaction with customers and upper management.
Must be able to move about facility and spend time in mill environment.
Circumstances may require meetings throughout the facility, including the mill and offsite. Some travel may be required. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Please email, fax or mail your resume and salary requirements to:
Attn: Human Resources
12555 Ronaldson Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70807
Fax: (225) 778-2158